We had a small Thanksgiving.. smallest one yet.. lol :o) My parents took McKena & Kelsi to my sisters house in AZ. So it was Ben, Kaitlyn, Kody & I here for Thanksgiving. I cooked the turkey & all the other yummy stuff. I found 2 recipes I LOVED this year.. will share those in a min. Ben was off for 4 days its been nice just hanging around. We have started pulling the Xmas lights & decorations out. Haven't tempted the tree yet but its coming in the next day or so. We have spent time doing the outside & having to buy more lights since we thought we had plenty to go around the house but we didn't.
So the first recipe I tried was for "Grandma's Green Bean casserole" I got both recipes off of Allrecipes.com I don't like the classic green bean casserole, I don't care for any recipe that includes cream of anything soup. So with that said.. here is the recipe & I LOVED IT!! Will make this a lot.
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 cup sour cream
3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup crumbled buttery round crackers
1 tablespoon butter, melted
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. In a small bowl, toss together cracker crumbs and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.
The Second recipe was for "Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes" mmmmm.. it was soo good!!! Loved these as well!!
INGREDIENTS
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup butter
6 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add sweet potatoes, and stir to coat. Sprinkle sugar mixture over the sweet potatoes, and stir. Cover skillet, and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, or until the sauce is dark and the potatoes are candied. They should be tender, but a little hard around the edges.
Stir in vanilla, and serve.
1 comment:
Sometimes a small and quiet Thanksgiving is nice. That's what we had this year, which is perfect with me getting so fat and uncomfortable! ;)
Post a Comment